Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Art Date: Light and Shadows in the Woods

Do you ever take yourself out for art dates?  I have made a habit of it lately.

Even if the art date is right in your neighborhood, making a weekly habit of creating helps you build your skills each week.

I created this watercolor one morning, after a scouting walk helped me select the spot.  

When you find your location, you might want to take a few photos to capture the scene before the light shifts.  Then make a sketch lightly in pencil, mix your colors, and start painting.  

I started painting the bright green areas, then built up the darker areas, using only 3 colors: ultramarine blue, Winsor lemon, and burnt umber. The bold contrasts caught my eye and inspired me.

As you take your next walk, look at familiar scenes and say to yourself: "I like ______ part of the scene (the green Japanese maple leaves against the neighbor's red house, the shadows under that oak tree, the exact shade of blue of those hydrangea blossoms).  You'll learn what catches your artist's eye, and get ideas for future drawings or paintings.

Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment