Saturday, September 21, 2024

Nature Journal: September Sun

I took myself out for an art date to the most charming park, where these wild sunflowers were blooming under the bluest sky. 

I snapped a ton of photos in the park. Back in my studio, I pulled up this one to create a gouache painting in my nature journal.

Sometimes, when you look at a landscape, it can seem overwhelming.  So many details!

Try simplifying the scene.  That means you get to pick the part of the landscape that appeals to you, and add limited details, expressing other parts of the scene simply as shapes of color and value. Or leaving them out entirely.

Remember, you're the artist.  You decide what to paint, and how to paint it.

When you're done, prop your artwork somewhere you can see it as you pass through your home.  It will grow on you, and you will see things you hadn't noticed before. 

I was frustrated with this painting in the moment, feeling it wasn't working.  I left it for half a day, and came back later, realizing it captured the essence of that afternoon in the park.  Now I like it.

I hope you find a spot in nature to sit and sketch, paint or snap photos.

Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment