Friday, August 14, 2026

Book Recommendation: Little Things in a Big Country by Hannah Hinchman

Author & artist Hannah Hinchman has given me years of inspiration with each of her books, including Little Things in a Big Country.  Her words feel alive and express the essential nature of a place, a moment or a creature.  

She has managed to describe ineffable human experiences like truly seeing colors in nature after a half-hour's hike, or drawing the intricate light and shadow patterns on a silver teapot.  She expressed human experiences -- from anxiety to wonder, editing her words down to the essential heart of the matter.  Anytime I pick up her books, I feel inspired to be a better artist, writer and human. 

Even if you're not looking for a deeply human encounter with a book, simply seeing into another person's sketchbook is a golden opportunity.  We humans are curious about our fellow humans.
Hannah hand-wrote this book, and her writing adds a beautiful energy to the storytelling.
I hope you take the opportunity to check out Hannah's books!

Hannah's books:

A Life in Hand: Creating the Illuminated Journal, 1991, Peregrine Smith Books.

A Trail Through the Leaves: The Journal as a Path to Place, 1997, W.W. Norton & Co.

Little Things in a Big Country: An Artist and Her Dog on the Rocky Mountain Front, 2004, W.W. Norton & Co.

I heartily recommend them all!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment