I have a friend who likes to paint small paintings. Jenny works on watercolor paper cut to fit frames she already has, starting at 2" x 3" and 3" x 5". Inspired by Jenny, I cut up some 140# watercolor paper and played with a garden flower watercolor theme.
The first two sketches I simply made up, imagining a bright summer day in a garden. Phthalo blue for the sky, permanent rose and Azo yellow for the flowers, and mixtures of Hooker's green & phthalo blue, as well as sap green & Azo yellow for the greenery. All done wet-in-wet.
Later, I sat out in my sunny garden painting zinnia blooms.
I started with a Faber Castell XS permanent pen, then painted the flower. For the background, I painted the area around the flower with clear water and touched in watercolor, letting it blend and flow.
Below is a Sacred Basil plant growing among the zinnias.
I love tiny paintings!
They take very little time to complete, and you can try out an idea quickly, then move on to something else. It's easy to make a series.
These little paintings would add a beautiful spot of color in a small space in my home, or become a beautiful card to send someone I love.
Jenny has a box of her paintings and rotates them through her frames. It's a great way to celebrate your creative explorations!








No comments:
Post a Comment