Monday, August 17, 2026

Inspiration from the Past

Do you ever go back and flip through old sketchbooks and notebooks?  It's a great way to see the terrain you've covered as an artist.  You can witness how you've grown, and find bits of inspiration that reignite your current art practice.

I was decluttering in my studio recently, and found the notebook pictured above.

The colors on this page caught my eye right away, and the quotes felt uplifting. Inspiration struck and I got out my watercolor crayons.
I made a wash of colors -- from magenta through scarlet, orange and yellow -- in two different notebooks.  
I used a General's Sketch & Wash water-soluble graphite pencil to write out dates, & events, adding doodles to decorate.  I love the way that a weekly planner invites loose creativity with no expectations.
 This type of no-expectations play with art supplies is essential to developing your creative ideas.  You may hear your inner critic complain that it's a "waste of time."  Please remind that voice that an art teacher (me) told you that it's super important (it is!) ... and it's fun.  We could all use more Vitamin Fun!

I hope you take some time to playfully doodle soon!


Some ideas for those who don't use a homemade weekly planner:
  1. Work on loose paper so there's no pressure to add another "pretty picture" to a journal or sketchbook.
  2. Pick up an art supply that you bought and never or rarely use. Or, use nontraditional art supplies, like a highlighter, a ballpoint pen & a 3-hole punch.
  3. Grab a stack of 3"x 5" index cards and create a bunch of small doodle-pages. Does less space to fill make you feel less pressure?
  4. Create on found materials -- junk mail, a receipt, used wrapping paper, a fallen leaf, whatever catches your eye!  Using "trash" releases us from any expectations or pressure to make "good art."
  5. Tell yourself you're just making "pretend art." I take this idea from The Unexpected Gypsy, who makes pretend paintings -- real paintings with no pressure behind them.
  6. Try to intentionally make "bad art" by using your non-dominant hand, or by drawing/creating under a time-pressure. For instance, you could try drawing the worst bird you can imagine, or try drawing a cat in under 1 minute.

Happy Creating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment