Monday, June 7, 2021

Poetic Inspiration Accordion Fold Book

My dear friend recently shared the poetry of Rupi Kaur from her book Home Body.  I wanted to make an artful copy of those lines to tuck into a gift basket for my friend, so she could turn to them for inspiration and self care.


I got the idea of creating a book of quotes from artist Joanne Sharpe's blog "Whimspirations."

I began with a 3" x 20" piece of 140# cold pressed watercolor paper. I folded it in half, then folded each half in half again, etc., until I had an accordion book of blank pages.  

I painted each page with contrasting or analogous colors, creating designs and patterns on the fly.  I did this to both sides of the paper.

When the watercolor paint was dry, I wrote the poetry quotes over the painted designs with a white Uniball pen and a black Micron pen.  

I found that slowly writing these wise words over the colorful pages was calming, and wonderful self care for me in the moment. 

Why not make your own accordion fold book of your favorite quotes?  You can keep it to meditate on, or make one for someone you care about.  A gift of your artwork is a unique and special treat!


No comments:

Post a Comment