Friday, June 4, 2021

Watercolor Explorations: Landscape


In preparation for our first landscape class, David and I took a hike with a camera and captured several landscape scenes.  I also got permission from a photographer friend to share several of his photos with my Osher class.  

I sketched a rough outline of the scene, marked out the highlights in the foliage around the old tree trunk, and used masking fluid to protect the highlights on the tree's trunk.  

To create the woodsy foliage, I began with washes of mostly Windsor Yellow, with a bit of Sap Green mixed in.  I wanted to capture the sense of sunlight pouring into the foliage. While the foliage washes were wet, I added Sap Green splotches and even a bit of cool, Hooker's Green.  Several layers of leafy greens came next. 

After the forest background was done, I worked on the main trunk and nearby trees & twigs.  I mixed Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna for a general gray, and Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Umber for darker areas.  I also washed in some Sap Green to the main tree trunk to represent the green I saw reflected there. I added a bit of earthy browns and grays to the forest floor.

The final step was to use a rigger brush for a few fine limbs and twigs, and a spattering of white gouache, Sap Green, and Windsor Yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment