Monday, November 20, 2023

A Five Mile Nature Hike!

A busy schedule had kept me off the hiking trails for too long.  When our opportunity finally arrived, David and I took advantage of a lovely day to walk in the woods.
David brought his camera equipment, and I tucked my colored pencils, a pen and my nature journal in a little bag.  At each water break or beauty stop, I pulled out my journal and made quick sketches of what I saw.

At the halfway point, I sat down and made blind contour drawings of curled leaves still clinging to a sapling.  They seemed to express the force of the fall winds, curling and twisting as if dancing on a breeze.
As we hiked home, I turned to see the distant hill in the setting sunlight.  Calico oak leaves dappled the forest canopy with rich color.

These sketches bring back the experience, just as David's photos bring back memories of the friendly people and horses we encountered on our adventure.

That's the power of an image -- it locks in the memory of the time you made it, transporting you back in time to relive moments in the beauty of nature.

I hope you get the opportunity to sketch a natural scene.  Go ahead; lock in a memory of the peace and beauty of nature!
 

Copyright 2023 Betsy Bangley.

No comments:

Post a Comment