Thursday, November 16, 2023

Nature Journal: Evening Sketch

Some days, especially after a busy week of activity and demands, I feel overwhelmed, tired, and like I need a recharge.  I have learned that the best self care for me in these moments is to sit with my art supplies, outdoors, if possible.
These drawings are from times when I was weary and just needed to settle in nature and breathe deeply, connect with a tree, a cluster of leaves, or blades of dewy grass.
Sometimes, I take slow "Beauty Walks," moving at a turtle's pace like a curious wild creature.  I stop to notice details like the exact color of the cucumber tree leaves, or how dew drops clinging to a grass blade give an upside-down view of the world to anyone who's willing to look closely.
After sitting for ten minutes in front of this cluster of wild grasses, I noticed a little hollow place, protected by the overhanging blackberries and weeds, and I imagined a cottontail rabbit tucking away inside.  

As I sketched in the fading light of evening, I noticed gentle twittering sounds of songbirds fluttering into the overgrown grape vine nearby.  They were tucking in for the night, and I was fortunate enough to witness their evening routine.  I felt let in on their secret, and the knowledge warmed my heart.

These are the ways that nature and art restore me.  After a sketching session like this, I feel rested and renewed.  Of course, getting a good night's sleep is critical to feeling well, but I also notice that having a little time to create in a quiet place is also vital to my health.

I hope you can find some time to slow down and connect with nature, make a sketch or write about something you notice in nature.  I hope you find it as healing as I have!


Copyright 2023 Betsy Bangley.

No comments:

Post a Comment