Monday, January 15, 2024

A Nature Hike Revisited

When I made the first rough sketch of this lake scene (below) the weather was warm and lovely. I had only brought a waterproof black pen and my nature journal on the hike.

I wanted to include more color and details, so I took a photo with my phone and planned to finish the page later.

This latest cold snap, had me thinking of that sunny warm day and how I wanted to finish my sketch.  
Cozily tucked in my studio listening to music, I added color to the scene using 
Caran D'Ache Neocolor II watercolor crayons.

Just looking at the blue sky and puffy white clouds in the photo felt uplifting on a gray day with wind-driven snow flying through the air. Adding color with the crayons worked its usual magic, and I dropped into that relaxed, timeless state of art-making.


I invite you to make artwork using this photo as a reference.  Find the most interesting part of the scene to you, and let that be your focal point. I hope you'll use your favorite media to create your version of this scene. 

Happy Creating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment