Friday, January 19, 2024

Nature Journaling: Finding Color in Winter


A cold winter morning brought colorful birds to my feeders.  I grabbed my watercolor crayons and a black pen, and felt happy to get to splash bold colors into my nature journal.

I find that in winter, my eyes hunger for hues more vibrant than the lead-gray skies and burnt umber tree branches.  As I hike, I seek out splashes of blue, green, red, orange, purple & pink.

Where do I find these rich colors? Often in tiny pockets here and there. Here are some of my recent photos of nature's splashy colors tucked in the winter landscape.

Turkey Tail fungus boasts rows of indigo and vermillion.
Sunrises and sunsets will fill your eyes with color if only for moments.
On the rare sunny days, notice how blue the shadows are on snowy ground.
Even dead wildflowers still hold warm tones, even if they're muted.
Moss always seems incredibly green to my winter-weary eyes, but finding this fern growing out of a hole in a cherry tree lifted my spirits on a January hike.
I couldn't believe that these tiny mushrooms were still upright and not withered by the cold when I found them on January 12th.
As colorful as these scenes are, the birds at my feeder bring a special vitality.
A female Downy Woodpecker.
A Tufted Titmouse.

I hope you will take inspiration from one of these nature scenes and create art from them!

Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment