Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Making my Wanderlust 2024 Art Journal

I'm participating in Kasia Avery's Wanderlust 2024, a whole year of art journaling prompts and instructions.  You can find out more about it here:

Rather than buy a new art journal, I chose to make my own.  I had the recommended 140 pound watercolor paper on hand, as well as an old book, an awl, a craft needle, and some heavy cord.
I began by cutting out the body of the book, being careful not to damage the binding.  I left the end papers for their beauty and charm, even the title page.
Then I reinforced the binding with fiberglass tape. You could also glue on a strip of fabric.

I selected my papers, cut them to fit the binding, and folded them into four signatures (segments) of four papers each.

Next I made a pattern with a scrap piece of paper, marking where I wanted to punch holes for the bindings.  I punched four sets of holes in the binding of the book cover.

I clipped each signature/bundle together so that none of them slipped, and I punched matching holes in the crease of each signature of pages, using the pattern I'd made.
I threaded the craft needle with heavy cord I had bought at the Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse, and I sewed each signature individually, starting and finishing inside the book, and tying off the cord in a couple of secure knots.
Here's a link to a YouTube video by Johanna Clough that shows the entire process I went through:

I finished the book, and am delighted with the friendliness of the vintage cover and endpapers.  It feels like a place I can create without being too precious and "perfect" about my work.  Of course, we all know there's no such thing as perfect in art making!

It felt good to gather items I had on hand rather than make a special trip to a craft store to spend money on a new item.  I gave new life to an old book and came away happy with the artmaking experience and the final product. That's what I love about upcycling and making it yourself!

If you're curious to make your own book, it's not as hard as it might seem.  Watch a YouTube video and give it a try.

You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment