Saturday, January 13, 2024

Nature Journaling with Pen & Ink

On a recent afternoon, I took a little time to sketch the simple things in my life around my home: my cat drinking water from a bowl, bare mint branches, and the birds at the feeder outside my studio.
David & I went out for a hike, and on the way down our long driveway, we had to stop to remove this dead spruce tree that had fallen over the drive.
Out at the park, we hiked down to the lake, and I took a few minutes to sketch the scene at the water's edge. Perhaps I will add watercolors or gouache to flesh out the scene.
Back at home, I brewed up a mug of tea, and sat out on the kitchen stoop in the 45 degree F weather.  I have an old, battered cushion retired from use on our wicker sofa. I pull it out of the closet and plop it down on my welcome mat to make a comfortable seat down at earth level.
 As I sat down to sketch, the weeds caught my eye, and slowed me down.  Why is it that simply following the contours of last summer's wildflowers and grasses makes me feel calm? 
My cats kindly posed for my sketches.  They seemed happy to take in nature's balm, too.

I hope you get the opportunity to feel nature's balm, whether by a window with a mug of tea or out on a hike with your nature journal.

Happy Creating!


Copyright Betsy Bangley 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment