Monday, June 19, 2023

Augusta the Fairy

We recently had a photo shoot with a professional traveling model named Augusta Monroe.  

She was wonderful to work with and created beautiful poses in wooded scenes. 

I used a photo from our shoot as a reference to draw this image in my sketchbook, 
giving model Augusta a pair of fairy wings.
Using a piece of tracing paper, I traced over the sketchbook drawing to transfer the image to watercolor paper. 
Then I colored on the back of the tracing paper with a 4B graphite pencil, and 
taped the drawing onto watercolor paper.  I traced over the main lines of the drawing, leaving behind a faint image on the watercolor paper to work from.
I laid in washes of color, and layered on detail.
I used Winsor & Newton watercolor paper in a block,
so I didn't have to tape my paper down.
I finished the image by adding tree branches in the background with Inktense colored pencils, and touching up details on Augusta's face.

Why not give this process a try?
  
Start with a photo you like, and make drawings in a sketchbook.
The pressure is off when you're just sketching for fun.

When you create a design you like, trace and transfer it to a sheet of better paper.

You can paint with watercolors, or use colored pencils, markers, or whatever medium you enjoy.
Let your imagination roam free on the page, and remember: 

You're not a camera creating photorealistic images.  
You're an artist creating expressive works!

I hope you make time for art in your schedule this week; you're worth it!

Here are two images of Augusta Monroe that you are welcome to use as reference photos to create artworks from.

Many thanks to model Augusta Monroe for her creative work!

No comments:

Post a Comment