Saturday, June 24, 2023

Armchair Travel Painting

I'm a big fan of YouTuber Steve Wallis from Camping with Steve. Last night I watched his most recent video Overnight in Remote Cabin.  

Steve's delight in spending the night in a charming cabin in the Canadian wilderness triggered my creativity and I made two sketches in my journal inspired by his video.

I stopped the video at 14:31, and used it as a reference.

I mixed Phthalo Blue with Permanent Blue Violet, and a little Ultramarine Blue to paint the sky, and dabbed out lighter clouds with a paper towel.  

I created the tree line along the lake by mixing Ultramarine Blue & Permanent Blue Violet with very little water to make deeper, darker values.
I mixed the darker "black" areas of the painting with Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna.
A little Phthalo Blue, Winsor Blue and Permanent Blue Violet created the still lake water.

I finished with the near edge of the lake and one of the two trees in the video scene. 
When the tape was pulled away, the neat edges created a postcard look, as if I were really there swatting mosquitoes rather than in my cozy studio.
Many thanks to Steve Wallis for his adventuresome videos, and for sharing his love of camping!

No comments:

Post a Comment