Monday, June 5, 2023

Watercolor Explorations with Model Rikki

In the final session of my Watercolor Explorations class with Osher at CMU, we had the privilege of painting model Rikki.
We began the session with 4 gesture poses of 5 minutes each.  I invited everyone to make quick watercolor sketches using only one color.  Of course, I couldn't help myself, and added Ultramarine Blue to my Cadmium Red washes!

Rikki's gestures were wonderfully expressive.
By the last one, I felt like I was tuning in to her proportions, especially in her face.
After a break for Rikki, we practiced mixing skin tones, and
I demonstrated the process of composing the making a pencil sketch, then erasing any dark lines, and laying in the first washes.
Each of us experimented with composition, color, shapes, light & shadows to create our own version of Rikki.  Below is my painting from class.
Here is David's painting.  Notice how his expression of the shadows on Rikki's face, her dress, & the drape over her chair create a feeling of dimension and depth.  What a remarkable development for a new watercolorist!
 
Many thanks to our wonderful model, Rikki!

No comments:

Post a Comment