Tuesday, June 13, 2023

The Value of a Value Study

I am still feeling inspired by my visit to The Space Upstairs.

I decided to have a play with making a simple value study of this scene.

I used a vintage Multigraph pencil to make my value study, and a water brush pen to wet the pigment and let it flow.

A value study helps you to decide how to compose a final painting, allowing you to see where the high contrast in values will fall.  

The high contrast parts of the scene catch the viewer's eye.  
Making sure that your painting has contrasting values around the focal point creates a stronger composition, one that draws the viewer in.
And creating a value study is just another way to play with your art supplies, fill a sketch book, and get practice with no pressure.

You're just making a study. 

I hope you have a play with value studies some time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment