Saturday, September 16, 2023

First Autumn Leaf Painted in Gouache

I've been taken by the medium gouache, a type of paint that is water-soluble like watercolors, but is opaque, so you can paint light colors over top of darker colors as long as you use a thick consistency.

I love that I can paint in the large shapes and colors, then add details.

Watercolor has long been a favorite medium of mine, but you must paint from light to dark. If there is a bright detail (like the yellow veins on the leaf above), you have to either avoid painting those tiny spaces with darker paint, or use a masking fluid to keep those little bits unpainted.

Gouache lets you paint right over anything you like!

So, this year's first colorful leaf of autumn was painted with gouache.

Every medium has its own magic.  I find that making explorations in art leads me to new discoveries like my new joy in gouache.

I hope you'll make explorations in whatever medium appeals to you.  

Start with what you have at hand, even if that's a pencil on paper.  

The more you create, the more ideas and inspiration build for you.

Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment