Friday, September 22, 2023

The Meadow in Gouache

One sunny afternoon, I set up my paints in a meadow to explore: 

    • the contrast of bright Queen Anne's Lace against woodland shadows, 
    • the textures of wildflowers & meadow grasses, and 
    • the contrast of bare hickory branches against the blue September sky.
 

I made a simple pencil sketch, then painted the sky, the trees, and the meadow plants with gouache.  

Using this tan mixed media paper saved me from painting the tan grasses in the meadow.  I love using midtone paper, because it shows the highlights well.  Look at how the white Queen Anne's Lace blossoms shine brilliantly against the tan mixed media paper.

Before painting, I walked a path around and through this meadow several times.  As I walked, I noticed scenes and subjects that caught my eye.

You can use this trick any time you're out walking, even if you don't have your art supplies.  Simply walk along and notice what you are drawn to. Say "I like ..."

Are you fascinated by the puffy clouds in the sky, the autumn leaves, the dry grasses, or the way a spider web beads with dew?  

I've noticed that I like high contrast scenes, like the sun setting behind trees, when the light shines through the green leaves.

You could use your phone to take photos, and to record descriptions of what you like.

Sometimes I speak descriptions into my phone's notepad as I walk. I can later print them out and add them to my nature journal.

I hope you'll take some time in nature to create, or just to notice what you are drawn to.

Happy nature journaling!

No comments:

Post a Comment