Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Nature Journaling from a Canoe

The last lazy days of summer we've been paddling Raccoon Lake in a canoe.  I always bring along my nature journal and a small kit of watercolors, pens & a graphite pencil. 
Here, we stopped for a moment to watch a building storm cloud, and I painted the lake quickly.

We paddled up the tributary of the lake and found sycamore trees with branches leaning over the creek.  I dangled my toes in the water, and could feel the cooling effect of the trees' shade.  The lake water was much warmer than this tributary that feeds it. 
The peaceful backwaters were home to whirligig beetles - smooth, oval, black beetles that spin and zip on the water's surface --  and common sneezeweed with its yellow blooms.

I love the late summer sounds in the forest, and made a list of the bird calls and insects I could hear above me.

This is an ideal time of year to make a nature journal.  I hope you'll grab a sketch book and something you like to draw/write with, then go outdoors and listen, watch, and take notes in whatever way feels appealing to you.

Happy Nature Journaling!

No comments:

Post a Comment