Saturday, September 2, 2023

Whale and Dolphin Watching from the Queen Mary 2

As we neared Newfoundland, the visibility cleared and the seas calmed so that the water was free of whitecaps. We had seen dolphins over the past few days, but had heard that whales had also been spotted.

We climbed to the 11th deck, and watched from the outdoor observation area just below the bridge. I scanned the calm sea for the white spray of whales blowing and dolphins leaping out of the water.

We had the thrill of seeing both Humpback Whales and Dolphins soaring out of the water near the ship.

I felt a sense of kinship to the animals, and gratitude for them sharing a glimpse of themselves "flying" free in their ocean home.

My eyes were riveted to these rare scenes as they happened, so I didn't sketch at all until afterwards.  The dolphins were easier to sketch from memory, but the whales had bumps and fins that I was unfamiliar with, so I referred to the photos above.

I hope you will try your hand at creating from these photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment