Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Painting in a Campground

A Wednesday afternoon in the state park campground provided a quiet woods with plenty of picnic tables for me to sit and paint at.  

Now that school is back in session, demand for campsites during the week is low, so tents and occupied campsites were few and far between.

I took advantage of the peaceful woods, finding a beautifully weathered and gnarled maple tree to paint in my 6"x 9" Soho kraft paper nature journal.

 I began with a rough pencil sketch, then began mixing colors and painting larger shapes and slowly added more details.  I focused on the bright highlights and dark shadows on the maple, and made sure to lay in a variety of greens in the forest canopy background.  

I ran out of time before I finished on location, so I took a few photos of the scene and finished the painting later at home.

Before I left, I wrote:

Sun-dappled woods.  An old, knobby maple tree in the campsite catches my eye -- packed with holes, warty, mossy & worn -- you know it has stories to tell.

Looking back at this entry, I remember the freshness of the air, the peace of the woods, and the mosquitoes!  And how I hiked down the hill to meet David for a paddle on the lake below.  The beauty of a September afternoon is recorded for me to visit whenever I wish.

I hope you take some time to record what is going on in nature around you today.  

Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment