Monday, September 4, 2023

Storm Cloud Painting

Whale and dolphin watching gave us the opportunity to take lots of photos of the ever-changing sea and sky.

Outside on decks, the winds typically were 40 knots or more, so painting in the moment wasn't practical.
Inspired by this photo, I made a monochromatic painting in my journal of the scene.
One important part of creating a landscape with the ocean in it is to make sure the horizon is level and straight.  I used painter's tape to tape off the horizon, and painted the stormy sky wet-in-wet.
I used Payne's Grey and French Ultramarine. Limiting the color palette feels freeing to me, as my focus turns to following the values and shapes I see.
 
This photo would be a great source for a series of paintings -- 
a monochromatic painting of the scene, 
a study of just the clouds, 
a study of just the horizon, 
a texture study of the ocean surface, 
& a variety of compositions selected from within this photo.

What would you like to create from this photo?
I hope you'll take the opportunity to paint, draw or collage with this image and share your art in the comments below.

Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment