Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Kale by Sunset Light

One recent evening, after a day of talking with lots of people, I was "peopled out." Needing a reset, I sat at my art worktable and gazed out the window to my vegetable garden.  

A curly kale plant caught the late day light, and I reached for my gouache paints to express the beauty of the sun glowing through the kale leaves.

I made a very rough pencil sketch of leaf positions, and started painting.

Gouache dries so quickly, I could paint the main leaves, then add details over top, like veins & highlights.

The colors I used were: Cadmium Yellow Pale, Hansa Yellow, Phthalo Blue, Pyrrol Red, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, & Zinc White.

I painted on Saunders Waterford watercolor paper (cream, NOT surface, 140#) from St. Cuthberts Mill

I find the high contrast light to dark areas please my artist's eye. Little details like this are good to know about yourself.  What are your favorite things to paint or draw?  Do you have favorite lighting or colors?  

Next time you're waiting in line or taking a walk, look around and see what catches your eye.  Practicing seeing like this sets you up to be ready to sketch or paint because you know what you enjoy.

I hope you find time this week for some creative self care.  Give yourself the gift of time tucked away to yourself, playing with your art supplies.  

Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment