Sunday, June 2, 2024

From Drawing to Reality

This pergola began as a sketch.  
A large cluster of Staghorn Sumac trees that grew around my home recently died, and we were left with a small forest of bare sticks. The wonky-looking limbs and trunks intrigued me to do something artful with my old tree friends.
I sketched and painted my idea, and tucked it into my nature journal along with a sketch of another project.
Having a sketch helps you to think about how you want to build your project.  
It helps you communicate your idea to anyone who will help you.
And it's fun!

My husband pounded 4 T-posts into the ground to support my wonky trellis, and I did the rest -- 
sawing the dead trees into lengths with my bow saw; 
zip-tying the uprights to the T-posts; and 
screwing limbs together with old drywall screws.

I wouldn't climb on this trellis, but it's strong enough to hold a solar lantern and a basket of flowers.








Copyright Betsy Bangley 2024. All rights reserved
 

No comments:

Post a Comment