Saturday, June 22, 2024

Testing the Hand Book Journal Company Watercolor Landscape Journal

I'm planning to go on an Alaskan cruise this summer, and I've been trying out watercolor sketchbook journals to use as my travel journal.  I hope to paint a lot of landscapes of the gorgeous Alaskan coast, so I thought this extra-wide and narrow format would be ideal.
I used a photo from a travel brochure as my reference picture, and tested out the graphite pencil and watercolors from my travel kit.
I sketched the scene with an HB mechanical pencil.
Then I masked out the snowy mountaintops and waterfalls with a white Crayola crayon.
I began laying in washes of phthalo blue for the sky and distant mountains, mixing in a touch of alizarin crimson for the nearer cliffs and mountains, touching in sap green and yellow ochre for the plant foliage.
I used a Micron 005 pen in permanent black to add the details of the cruise ship.

I love this watercolor journal!  I was able to work wet-in-wet easily, and the paper didn't buckle.  The light texture is ideal for my preferences, and the paint soaked in beautifully.  I loved the way the pages lay flat.  

I think this journal is going with me on our trip!

Are you taking any trips this summer?  I hope you take a little time for yourself to make art and tell the story of your journey. Even a rough sketch holds memories for you to enjoy later when flipping through your sketchbook.

Happy Creating!



 






Copyright Betsy Bangley 2024. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Betsy, you've found the perfect travel companion in your new journal. I can spot a mini Betsy and David, sketching and taking pictures, on the deck of the tiny cruise ship in your painting. I like how you show and explain the steps of your painting, including your use of a good old white Crayola crayon for the snow and waterfalls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this post was helpful to you! Yes, a simple white Crayola does wonders. We've just returned from Alaska, and it was magnificent to arrive in the fjord that is pictured here on the brochure. Indeed, a mini Betsy and a mini David were on the decks drinking in the scenery and taking pictures! I'll be sharing photos and paintings from our trip in here soon!

      Delete