Friday, June 14, 2024

Testing Travel Journals

In my quest for the best travel journal for our Alaskan adventure this summer, I tested journals by Canson, Strathmore, and now Stillman & Birn Delta Series Watercolor Sketchbook.

I used Winsor & Newton Watercolors from my travel set to make that quick sketch of the mulberry branch.  

What I liked:
  • the sturdy binding
  • the way the paper lays flat
  • the cream color of the paper - not glaring white
  • the thickness of the pages- some buckling when a lot of water is used, but dries mostly flat
  • the smooth texture of the pages
What I didn't like:
  • Some of the watercolors felt like they were sitting on top of the paper rather than soaking in.
I used this journal on my Transatlantic Voyage in 2023, and was pleased with the results with colored pencil, graphite, ink and watercolor.  You can see that journal here: 

I think this is my current favorite, simply because I like the smoother texture of the paper.  Sometimes our preferences are more about personal taste than the quality of the materials.  
All 3 of the journals I tested would support my art well.  I am fortunate to have a choice and a journey to take them on.

Now I just have to pick out my travel kit!

No comments:

Post a Comment