Saturday, June 29, 2024

My Alaskan Adventure

We've returned from our cruise in southeastern Alaska, and I will share artwork from my travels, but I thought I'd start with photos of the landscape there.
We traveled on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth, which provided our transportation and a relaxing home base for our Explorations. At the end of every shore excursion, there was a delicious hot meal, a cup of British tea, and a comfortable bed to fall into.
We had lots of opportunities for wildlife watching, from bald eagles to whales, otters, harbor seals, orcas, ravens, and black & brown bears.

Bald eagles were as plentiful as Blue Jays are back home, yet the sight of them never grew old.
Morning fog was common on our trip, and often the sun would burn off the mist and the day would turn sunny and bright.
We rode the White Pass Scenic Railroad in Skagway, Alaska, and awed at the stunning views.

My favorite day was spent at Icy Strait Point, Alaska.  I sat in the coastal rainforest among the hemlocks and spruces, listening to bald eagles calling from the canopy, and painting in my sketchbook. Every surface of the woods was moss-covered and lush.

Since returning home, I have been finishing sketches from our travels that I didn't have time to complete.  We were constantly drinking in the scenery outside our ship, or hiking somewhere.
I use photos like these to turn quick pencil drawings into watercolor sketches.

Why don't you pick out a photo from this set and make a sketch, a painting or other artwork inspired by the Alaskan landscape?
Happy Creating!


Many thanks to David of Long Story Short Photography for the use of these photos. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Betsy, I'm glad you took along your favorite big sunhat. It goes everywhere! My husband and I watched a PBS program tonight that was filmed on the Cunard Queen Elizabeth cruising the Alaskan waterways. What are the chances? It was about a couple of guys who foraged for wild plants in Alaska and challenged the chef on the QE to cook them up into something tasty. Looks like a gorgeous tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow --That sounds like a fascinating show! We didn't have such exotic cuisine as wild mushrooms, though the food was excellent. And, yes, my trusty sunhat travels everywhere with me.😄

      Delete