Monday, June 10, 2024

Testing Art Supplies for a Trip

This summer, David and I will go on a cruise to Alaska.  I'm excited about the idea of making a travel journal of the grand scenery and wildlife we encounter.

I wanted to test out sketchbooks to use on the trip, and started with this Canson watercolor sketchbook.  I took it out on a canoe ride with David at Raccoon Creek State Park, and painted this shrub leaning over the water.
What I liked:
  • The pages open to lay flat.
  • The paper didn't warp when wet.
  • You can do wet-in-wet techniques.
  • The paper has the strength to let you scrub out and lift paint without pilling.
What I didn't like:
  • The spiral binding catches on things and is bulky.  I'd prefer a sewn binding.

Are you looking for a way to jump start your art process?  Why not gather up any supplies you have and test them out?  What do you like about them? What don't you like?
Happy testing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment